Monday, November 22, 2010

The Clothes Make the Crossdresser

So, I'm a member over at Crossdressers.com, which is, on the whole, a pretty decent community. One thing I've noticed over there is a propensity for members to refer to their guy clothes as drab. As in, "I had to dress in drab today." Typically, this term is used in a pejorative fashion that, when I hear it, never fails to bring me down. It seems like a lot of members over at the Crossdressers.com forums are ashamed of or almost angry at the fact that they were born men. And that, well, that just makes me sad.


Look, I know that there are as many different reasons for crossdressing as there are crossdressers, and I know that my experience is, while certainly possessing commonalities with other CDs, as unique as the next gurl's. I still don't understand all the reasons why I like slapping on the wig and heels and flouncing around as Molly. What I dounderstand is that while I lovebeing Molly I also love being a guy, and that includes my wardrobe. I spent yearsperfecting a look for myself that I felt combined gear headand journeyman artistin a way that I felt didn't make me look like a total tool. Hard wearing, workmanlike clothes with a sort of retro/mid-century edge about them with a little splash of military surplus and biker here and there to spice things up. While they're certainly not flashy, my guy clothes are anythingbut "drab".

For me, I'm not dressing to get away from being a guy. I likebeing a guy, I really do. I like repurposing work clothes and bits of uniform and hard wearing military bags and the like into my comfy, good looking, and, frankly, unique wardrobe. On the other hand, for whatever reasons, and trust me there are many reasons, I like to feel pretty and girly get attention and, well, that's hard to do in a gas station shirt and motorcycle boots. Being Molly is a celebration of my feminine side, not a rejection of my masculinity. I feel kind of let down when I have to take off my makeup and hang up my skirt, but that's because I like Molly so much and feel so good in her clothes and not from a "I hate my manhood" kind of thing.

So, yeah. Your mileage may vary, but for me my cute skirts and my hard-wearing vintage denim dungarees hang next to one another in my closet, and each hold an equally important place in my heart.

1 comment:

mapleleafs_75 said...

Hi Molly, it's sissyalyssa. I follow you on Twitter. Anyways I'm so happy you are still blogging, because all of your blogs reflect exactly how I feel, especially this one. I totally agree with you. I love everything about womens clothes as well as guys clothes. For me, it's sometimes I feel like wearing a pink blouse with a black knee length skirt and other days a pair of well worn jeans and a retro t are what I'm in the mood for. I guess for me, my dressing is just the mood I'm in. So wearing a dress one day and jeans the next for me, is no different then most guys wearing black jeans on a Monday and khakis on Tuesday, it's just the mood of the day. Looking forward to your next blog.:):):):)